canberrabirds

Unusual year?

To: <>
Subject: Unusual year?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:56:07 +1100

At the spot near Sutton where Mark was monitoring the Regent Honeyeater family I was surprised to find numbers of Little Lorikeets, a few Black Honeyeaters, and several nesting White-browed Woodswallows.  This is exactly the assemblage that had turned up at Mulligans Flat.  The two locations are less than 10 kms apart, so the possibilities range from these being but 2 of several nearby woodland locations being used by different individuals of the same 3 species to the Mulligans Flat birds having moved to Sutton.

Surely the 3 species are not at the same place for the same reason, except in the general sense that they need food.  The WB Woodswallow occurs in large numbers a 100km or so to the west of  Canberra, usually nesting in loose colonies at this time of year.  Every few years in Spring these arrive in numbers around Canberra, apparently pursuing emergences of large insects (grasshoppers, cicadas, beetles).  Recently we seem to have had a few of them each year, presumably because food is scarce further west.  However with locust and other heavy insect emergences in the riverina in recent years they might well, I think from my observations, have had some good breeding seasons and the consequent overflow could be pushing further east.  (Some hold a similar theory for the Superb Parrot influx.)

The Black Honeyeater is a notorious blossom-chasing wanderer, and is much rarer in this locality.  Perhaps its preferred flowering shrubs, needing short but heavy rain, have failed in its usual haunts further west.

On the other hand, the Little Lorikeet, as I understand it, is not so much a seasonal traveler but an opportunistic follower of the flowering eucalypts along and on the coastal side of the dividing range.  No doubt the present dense eucalypt-flowering has attracted it.  If it is the drought that has prompted the flush of blossom, the presence of the 3 species could all be related to the dry spell, but in different ways.