canberrabirds

To indulge in a 'little raven-on'

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: To indulge in a 'little raven-on'
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:40:49 +1100
I'm a bit confused by Marnix and Philip's consensus regarding the altitudinal movements of the Little Raven viz:

"So its basically a 'reverse' altitudinal migrant. That is the majority of
birds move to lower elevations in summer from higher elevations in colder
months."

Herewith some abbreviated quotes from Wildlife of the Australian Snow Country By Ken Green & William Osborne. Incidentally, I don't have the COG ACT Bird Atlas Philip mentions and, there are more extensive references than G &O's are available e.g. a quick peek at HANZAB reveals a detailed description of Little Ravens' movements which appears to me to basically reflect G & O's comments. Also, G & O nutshells my own observations of Little Ravens in the high country, albeit my obs weren't very extensive compared to the those of far more informed naturalists.

So over to G & O:  "A common and conspicuous bird found throughout the mainland snow country.Common breeder in subalpine woodland. During summer months, Little Ravens move into the snow country, when Bogong Moths are abundant in rock outcrops in the alpine zone. When bogongs are less common, many Little Ravens migrate away from the mountains. However, some remain and feed on grasshoppers and other grassland invertebrates, which are common in late summer. In winter, the few Little Ravens that stay, feed on insects on the snow and take scraps from around [ski] lodges and huts."

Look, I may have misinterpreted Marnix's comment. If so, I stand corrected. My name's John Layton, not Jon Stanhope.

Cheerio