canberrabirds

Look up, Buttercup

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Look up, Buttercup
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 20:37:10 +1100
While retrieving laundry from the clothes hoist at 1730 today, I looked up and spied a Collared Sparrowhawk scudding on high across the blue and breezy West Belconnen sky.

As other birders often do, I notice things of avian note while at the clothes hoist. Anyhow, it struck me I'm not paying sufficient attention to the firmament while specifically out birding, that is, I'm not looking up regularly, although I often check my back trail as Louis Lamour would say (i.e. look back over where I've walked), which often pays dividends.

Henceforth, I intend to include regular sky-scans in my field strategy. Dunno why this never occurred to me before. I suspect I've missed a lot by plodding along more often than not paying scant attention to what's happening upstairs.

John K. Layton