canberrabirds

Apparent decrease of Common Blackbirds

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Apparent decrease of Common Blackbirds
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:41:45 +1100
Usually, at this time of year, Common Blackbirds are common in our Holt yard. In evergreen shrubs, along one 30-metre boundary, we usually found two, and sometimes three nests. This spring, nary a one. And blackbird song has become a rarity. It used to be one of the sounds synonymous with spring together with the chimes of Mr Whippy's ice-cream van. But the latter has disappeared too. I dunno what's happening. My frequently-visiting little nieces and I miss Mr Whippy's snow-cones.

The only blackbird's nest we've found in the local precinct this season was on 31 August which contained a sitting female. According to Philip Veerman, although an early record, it was still within the known time span for local breeding.

I guess one doesn't have to be a rocket scientist, or a blackbird boffin, to conclude that the present prolonged lack of precipitation does not augur well for worm-augering blackbirds.

At the ANBG last week I had eight sightings of blackbirds. Again, probably stating the obvious, ANBG's watered, grassy areas and expanses of moist earth beneath mulch and sheltering shrubbery, provide a bonanza for the four-and-twenty birds' foraging needs. But why would global warming thwart the delivery of Mr Whippy's snow-cones?

John Layton