canberrabirds

Twitchers

To: <>
Subject: Twitchers
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:20:33 +1100

Hi all,

Following on from Anthony’s posting yesterday about “…interesting twitching articles” on the web, I thought I would share my 20 cents, or more correctly, 50 Swedish Kronor worth of experiences! Back in 2001 I visited Sweden and spent about 2 weeks travelling with Katarina Stenman, a Swedish friend who has spent a lot of time birding in Australia with me and other members of the bird banding crew. We went to a bird observatory / banding station in the south east of Sweden on an island called Oland. It was here I encountered massed twitchers twitching for the first time as shown in the photos in the web article. As we drove into the observatory I was confronted by about 200 - 300 birders, all with telescopes, standing in the middle of the road and peering into the grasslands to one side. We carefully negotiated the forest of people and scopes (they were not going to move for anyone or anything!), parked the car, grabbed Katarina’s scope and joined them. It turned out that everyone was watching two species euphemistically called “beeper birds”. Apparently serious twitchers (are there any other kinds?) in Sweden carry a paging device so that when a “mega-rarity (I prefer the word vagrant) turns up its presence is phoned through to a central locality and this then triggers the pagers. Everyone rings a number to find “what and where” and off they all go happily chasing the bird. In the case above I saw the two species, a Citrine Wagtail and a Greater Short-toed Lark (there is a little story I could tell about the lark and me but will save that for later!).

In 2004 along with Canberra birdos Sue and Andrew Newbery, I was again back in Sweden (again on Oland) with Katarina when another “beeper bird” – a White Stork - was located, only about 15 km from where we were staying. Needless to say off we went, drove to the site and tramped kilometres around the wetland it was supposed to be on. It wasn’t, so we headed back to our accommodation. Several kms back along the road from the wetland we came across several cars stopped in the middle of the road, doors wide open and from memory one with its engine running but no-one in sight. We then noticed high above us two large birds flying to the south east. Lo and behold, not one, but two White Storks. We watched them until they disappeared over the horizon then headed home. Sometime later the car left with the engine running arrived where we were staying and we found it belonged to a Swedish twitcher who did what all good twitchers do – he went and chased the birds when they flew across the road and forgot about everything else – that’s dedication! Several days later another “beeper bird” was located on a small lake near a place called Hjalstaviken, so off we went again. This time the bird was actually a feral species but still a vagrant to Sweden, the Ruddy Duck. We arrived at the car park, which was already pretty full and started walking the kilometre or so to the bird hide (more a slightly elevated open viewing platform) passing people carrying telescopes walking in both directions. There were about 20 people on the platform (about the size of the open viewing area at Kelly’s Swamp near Birragai School) that we joined. With all the people on it the platform was decidedly unstable and made peering through a telescope somewhat impractical as it shook so much. However we did manage to record the bird.

From Canberra’s perspective, I imagine the beeper system equates to COG’s former phone hotline and now the “Chat-line”. I’m not too sure what the system is in the rest of Australia but at this stage don’t think it is as good as that in Sweden (and I assume in the rest of Europe). Still things do happen in Australia – look at the Grey-headed Lapwing. Once word got out look at the interest this generated. From a twitching point of view though I think I read somewhere – Birding-Aus perhaps – that the maximum number of twitchers seen at any one time at the Grey-headed Lapwing was around 15. I imagine by now that bird has been seen by around 200 – 300 people, a far cry from the photos on the web and what I have experienced. In Canberra, we try hard but really can’t compete. However anyone who has gone out of their way to twitch a species must admit it is fun. I know it was for the three of us that chased up the lapwing.

So to end all this all I can say is …..GO FOR IT and have fun. I know I do.

Mark