canberrabirds

Black-tailed Gull

To: <>
Subject: Black-tailed Gull
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 05:50:28 +1100

I have about 7 hours of video footage from my Werribee visit, which I aim to condense to a 15 minute presentation in due course, but have only reviewed about 3 hours of it so far.  While videoing some avocets I incidentally picked up about 2 seconds of an unusual gull that I take to be a Black-tailed  -  grey smudges, black-tipped yellow bill, short pale legs etc.  I reported this to Birding-aus, and not surprisingly got several requests to post images.  As this might be of local interest, I’ll do it here so the images are on our archive.  The first image below is an unenhanced video frame.  The other 2 are brightened or cropped.  The video will appear of better quality but this bird probably won’t make the final cut.

MCAS0027