canberrabirds

Bournda NP/sqaure-tailed kite

To: <>
Subject: Bournda NP/sqaure-tailed kite
From: "Tobias Hayashi" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:29:37 +1100

Hi,
I did not see the white face, but that might have been because I didn't take my bins on camp. On a different subject, just outside our classroom, I flushed a bird from the grass. It flew around with a slowish flight, a bit aimlessly/undecided, until it finally alighted in a big pine. From what I could tell (again without binoculars), the bird was between a warbler and a treecreeper in size. During flight it had wingbars just like that of a Brown Treecreeper. In the pine, it sat extremely still, probably hardly moving for a good 2+ minutes. After a bit, it relaxed, and started calling: a high, weak 4 noted sequence, with the first note lowest, jumping a bit to the 2nd and then down in less than semitones in the last two. It called consistently for a couple of minutes, and was then flushed by the arrival of my friends. It flew into an adjacent pine and started hopping around for a bit before I lost track of it. The plumage (I may be easily wrong-it awfully back-lit) seemed to be plain light below, possibly slightly darker around the head. It had a blackish tail with a white tip, mediumish in length. Any suggestions?

Tobias