canberrabirds

various sightings - Friday and Saturday

Subject: various sightings - Friday and Saturday
From: "mat&cathy gilfedder" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:13:28 +1000
Hello again,

Have just returned from a brief trip to Canberra.  Had some very enjoyable sightings yesterday afternoon and this morning and thought I would quickly list some of them, especially as many of them I found because of posts from the COG-list over the last few weeks.

330pm Friday - "owners not renters" sign - parked (skylark and Brown songlark display flights), walked down the side of the road about 50m (Pipit), then crossed the road and walked back up the road 50m (SInging Bushlark flushed from the verge onto the fence). Very nice, and a new ACT tick for me!

4pm Friday - 3 female Superb Parrots - Hawker Oval.  Between the 2 open ovals, on the sloping part are a few gum trees - they were in these.  This is pretty much directly between the softball centre and the "closed" oval.  I didn't fancy my chances, but they were there!

5pm Friday Namadgi Visitor Centre - dozens of White-browed Woodswallows, and a few Masked Woodswallow.  Restless Flycatcher there (as always).  Thanks to whoever it was who mentioned these the other week.

5:30pm Friday - Tharwa Sandwash.  Great spot at the moment).  Walked upstream for about 10 minutes.  Beeeaters, Dollarbirds, Rufous Songlarks,  2 Little Corellas (just for Marnix), Diamond Firetail, but the highlight was a male Hooded Robin.

7am Saturday - Monga NP,  Pilotbird, Bassian Thrush, Red-browed Treecreeper, Black-faced Monarch, Large-billed Scrubwren, Satin Bowerbird, Crested Shrike-tit, Rose Robin

10am Saturday - Kelly Swamp - Crake Alley - Spotted, Spotless and Baillons Crake.  (no Lewins or BB Rails though, what a let down ;-) )

11am Saturday - Fyshwick Sewage - Freckled Duck, Little Grassbird, etc... big numbers of ducks there at the moment.

12noon - back on the plane to Brisbane

Apart from the too-brief time available, the only disappointment was not bumping into any familiar faces - in fact only saw one birdo the whole time - this morning at Kelly Swamp.

Cheers
Mat Gilfedder