canberrabirds

More on Holt's Superb Parrots

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: More on Holt's Superb Parrots
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 19:48:59 +1100
Roger Curnow wrote:  "at 14:30 as i ambled across avec binos there was but three"

While not trying to upstage Roger I just came home past the oval (1830 hours) still sans binos but was able to stop this time. Walked to within 25 metres and counted a group of fourteen. That's the most I've seen there since first noting them on 8 November.

Incidentally, you'll sometimes see a couple ensconced in the line of trees at the edge of the oval fronting Beaurepaire Crescent. And I'd like to know what kind of trees they are. Elms? Anyhow, reason I ask is because my untrained botanical eye suggests they set seed during early spring, if so then perhaps the Superbs, Rosellas, Red-rumps, King Parrots and Crested Pidges are attracted to the fallen elm (?) seed.

I won't approach the commensal patch to investigate the fare while birds are present 'cause I'd spook 'em.

John Layton