canberrabirds

Twitchathon results

To: <>
Subject: Twitchathon results
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 13:09:43 +1100

Hi all,

Well the twitchathon is over for another year. The COG team didn’t win but we gave it a good go. We started off with a bang, both literally and metaphorically after I hit a rather large hole in a track in Binya State Forest while watching some woodswallows flying overhead. Poor young Mark Allen ended up having a Coca-Cola shower and Anthony, Carole and Richard probably left a dint in the roof of my 4wd. We started in Binya SF then travelled along a back road along side a main irrigation channel back to Fivebough Swamp at Leeton. We were fortunate when we first went out to Fivebough before the twitch had started to run into Mike Shultz, the local wiz, who showed us the various tracks to take to get to the best sites around the swamp. Fivebough itself, as evidenced by all the messages on the chat line, is fantastic at present. I have travelled to a lot of good birding sites throughout Australia, especially wetlands, and I have never seen the number of Glossy Ibis that were at the swamp. We reckoned there were over 10, 000 of them and the sight of the flocks flying in just on dark was both incredible and spectacular. Carole’s eyesight lived up to her reputation by finding an Australasian Bittern sitting on top of a clump of reeds just before dark about 100 metres away. We left the Leeton area and travelled to Ingalba NR trying to find the resident Barking Owls which Anthony imitated well but the strong wind blowing at the time made it just too hard to get them to respond. The only nocturnal birds we recorded were a Tawny Frogmouth that flew over the Newell Highway, a Barn Owl sitting on a bridge on the edge of Stockinbingal, and a Southern Boobook calling at our “campsite” near Barren Grounds NR. Up until this time our tally for Saturday afternoon was 113 species recorded in four hours. We arrived at our campsite about 1:30 in the morning and had about one and a half hours “sleep” before driving into Barren Ground to get the Ground Parrot before sunrise. Many other species were recorded here and down the Jamberoo Road to Kiama. At this point things were still looking pretty good but we ran into a problem on Comerong Island trying to find all the wader species recorded there. That wasted too much time as did my decision that I needed something better than M & M’s to eat for breakfast. We did find some coastal birds  near Culburra – Callala Beach but were stymied in our attempt to reach the highway from Callala Beach when we found the link road was closed due to major road works, resulting in a back track to Nowra. At this point we decided to change our plans and come back to Canberra via the Tianjara Road to Braidwood. We probably lost a lot of species by coming this way but time was starting to run out. We did find 2 – 3 species each time we stopped for a couple of minutes to listen. Back in the ACT we had a mad dash to Newline (nothing new), the Fyshwick Sewage Works for two waterbirds then Campbell Park where we recorded three more species. From memory our last species was a Gang-gang Cockatoo on Anzac Parade. We arrived at the ANBG at about 3 minutes to 4 (EDST) hoping for a Grey Currawong, Leaden Flycatcher or some other unrecorded species but alas it was not to be. Our total for the 24 hours was 189 species, a long way behind the winners from the Hunter area with 233. With hindsight it is easy to see where we went wrong – not enough preparation on the route but with me overseas up until late September and a final decision to participate made even later, I think we did pretty well. I am not sure just how much money our team raised but I think it is around $1200.

Which brings me to the collection of the promised money. For those who offered a certain amount per species the total owing is as follows:- 5 cents per bird is $9:45, 10 cents per bird is $18:90, 15 cents per bird is $28:35, 20 cents per bird is $37:80 and 25 cents per bird is $47:25. If anyone wants to round these figures UP they are most welcome to do so. I will be at the November COG meeting to accept money as no doubt will Anthony, Richard and Carole. We will give out the official receipts when we receive them from the official organiser, perhaps before Christmas or in January. We will keep a record of who has paid so don’t worry you will not he harassed by the debt collectors. If anyone wants any details of the twitchathon please see any of the team.

Thanks to all those who gave us directions to various species. We may not have been able to use them at the time but there were one or two other not quite so serious teams in the race who did (we forgot we were using an open chat line …. Oooppps!). And thanks to all those who sponsored us, it was a fun but tiring exercise.

Mark