canberrabirds

Bird Blitzin

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Bird Blitzin
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 22:41:06 +1000
Arrived at Shepherds Lookout at 8 am and birded until 9:30 am. Unfortunately, the total we checked off (14) roughly equaled the temperature. Probably exceeded it because a 25 kph southerly made it feel like about 10 degrees.

A short distance from the carpark we spotted a pair of quail feeding in the open beside the track 25 metres away. We froze (which was easy to do under the prevailing conditions) and binoed them for a minute before they flushed, and we ID'd them as Stubble Quail. They flew high and far before descending. Higher and further than Brown Quail normally do. Harry Frith's Birds of the Australian High Country gives some useful pointers on the flushing characteristics of quail.

Saw a very young fledgling Eastern Rosella being fed. We glassed the Peregrines' place but no joy. They were probably inside by the fire peeking eerily (!) out at freezing fools with binoculars. At least we saw a perched Nankeen Kestrel, feathers all fluffed up against the breeze. It wouldn't be Shepherds Lookout without a raptor.

We called quits and headed back to the ute. "Brr!" Brat announced, "that wind is straight from Antarctica, and it's blowing off a polar bear's arse!"

"Samantha!" I said, feigning a shocked countenance, "Please, you're supposed to be a young lady! And don't be silly, there're no polar bears in Antarctica."

"Sorry, sir," she replied, feigning contriteness, "I'll rephrase that, the breeze is wafting off the posterior of a penguin."

I dunno where they get it from. What do I do with these little-daughter-brat things? Belt 'em, or love 'em?

After lunch, we bird-blitzed around Lake Ginninderra for 90 minutes and bagged 24 species. Just the usual Lake Ginn suspects, nothing high-lightable. Stopped at the Red Roster restaurant and had a lovely, crunchy chicken burger accompanied by ersatz coffee. "Good birding tucker, Eh, Dad," ebullient Brat announced.

"Yes darling, indeed. But the coffee tastes like it was strained through a flock of roosting Nankeen Night-herons," I replied. People at adjacent tables stared, probably wondering why the young lady was having some sort of a giggling fit.

John Layton