canberrabirds

White-winged triller and other interesting birds in Kaleen grasslands

To: David Rosalky <>, Bird List <>
Subject: White-winged triller and other interesting birds in Kaleen grasslands
From: annette carse <>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:14:59 +1000 (EST)
Not sure what the grassland area is called between the back of Kaleen - Shannon Circuit and the Gungahlin Drive Extention (work in progress) west of North Lyneham Hill but I have taken to walking around there most days and am truly amazed at how many birds i have managed to come across - in particular  white winged trillers - male and female and a juvenile (which stumped  me for a while but I brought the photo home to work it out on the screen). I have never seen them in the area. Approx 5 pallid cuckoos on sunday - cant work out if 2 of them are juvenile or female - need an expert on that one and didnt have camera with me. Horsefield's Bronze cuckoo - I noted the faint barring on its front that seemed incomplete and certainly I caught the glint of its green colour in the sun. Sacred Kingfisher seen 3 times to date on the wires near the big pine trees. Rufous whistler and jackie winter on sunday in small trees along fenceline.
Again, probably need an expert but i think I have been seeing and hearing a brown songlark in the grasslands - sitting on a post and a number of Richard pipits as well.

Well that's Kaleen grasslands over the weekend - If there is someone out there who knows the area and walks there too - would be pleased to hear from you to help me verify what I havent been able to work out (in a sure kind of way).

Cheers then
Annette

David Rosalky <> wrote:
A White-winged triller called briefly near my home in Deakin this morning.  No follow-up calls, so I imagine it was just passing through.  Certainly a first for my GBS.

David Rosalky

On Yahoo!7
Break a world record with Total Girl's World?s Largest Slumber Party