canberrabirds

Orange Chat

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Orange Chat
From: "Michael & Janette Lenz" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:12:34 +1000
This morning at the eastern side of the Southern Morass (near Lake Bathurst / Tarago) a brief view of a bird which I identified as a male Orange Chat (orange/yellow bird with black face mask) together with some White-fronted Chats in the lower part of a fence. As I tried to drive closer and by the time I got out of the car, the bird had disappeared. I hung around for an hour, and later returned again for another spell, but could only find White-fronted Chats. That puzzled and worries me.

Location: Lumley Road, down (western) side of the N/S stretch along the  Southern Morass, about 400m S from a sharp right hand turn of the road (at the northern end of the S. Morass). At the spot is a gap in the line of planted pines [the trees are planted between a normal fence (to the road) and an electric fence (to the Morass)], this is matched by a gap in the White Hawthorn trees/bushes forming a line below the electric fence.

Of course, if the bird is still there, it could be anywhere along that road. Please let me know if you are going AND if you find it, please photograph it. According to HANZAB this would be one of the most easterly sightings - but a possibility given the drought and the very strong winds we've had lately.

IMPORTANT: Any one going there, please respect the fences. The owner of the property has refused permission for COG to enter the area, not even for our regular water bird surveys.  Likewise, owners of the land on the eastern (up the slope) side of the road are also very 'touchy' about 'strangers' on their land.

Please respect this, for the benefit of the long-term surveys of the area I don't want to endanger in any way some of the fragile relationship with local landholders. THANKYOU!

Other birds in the area today: Brown- and Rufous Songlark, Banded Lapwing,
White-fronted Chats, Singing Bushlark, Southern Whiteface.

Michael Lenz