canberrabirds

Collared Sparrowhawk in Holt

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Collared Sparrowhawk in Holt
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 19:38:38 +1000
At 9 am today I saw a Collared Sparrowhawk perched on the outer branches of a next-door neighbour's sprawling apple tree. The size indicated a female, and I was surprised by the overall palour of the plumage. I could scarcely discern the barring on its underparts, and the rest of it appeared remarkably pale.

I was within ten metres of it very (bright sunlight) and I moved through about 45 degrees to see if the new perspective would make the bird appear darker, but it didn't. Also, there was a fellow hammering at a paling fence 15 metres away but it remained still. I watched for five minutes then had to leave.

At a guesstimate, reckon I've seen at least two Collared Sparrowhawks a year from/on the Holt block since the early 1990s, and am often surprised by the close approach they will tolerate.

John Layton