canberrabirds

Table Top Mountain - 30/9 to 2/10

Subject: Table Top Mountain - 30/9 to 2/10
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:19:18 +1000

I have just come back from a great couple of days birding at Table Top Mountain (Kalawa) near Albury (NSW). Their accommodation is perched on the edge of the Yambla Range and they have a bird list of 140 species. My list for over 3 days was 80 species. The vegetation consists of box, stringybark, dwyer's red gum and acacia scrub. An enormous amount of eucalypts were in flower attracting some 7 species of honeyeater but no lorikeets.

Highlights were a single Turquoise Parrot on the first day, a Black-chinned Honeyeater which decided to spend 2 whole days 'hanging out' in the big eucalypt outside our cottage and the pair of Chestnut-rumped Thornbills foraging in flowering shrubs on the summit of Table Top (>600m). This must surely be on the limit of their range. A pair of Peregrine Falcons were also nesting on the sheer cliffs. The walk to the summit takes about 2 hours.

Walking along the Bird Walk at Table Top to a dam I found some 40 White-browed Woodswallows and 20 Masked Woodswallows and a single Dusky Woodswallow. Also here White-browed Babbler (2 groups of 4 birds), Little Friarbird (2), Buff-rumped Thornbill (2), many Peaceful Doves and Common Bronzewings and a pair of Gang-gang Cockatoos. At night we heard Southern Boobook and an Australian Owlet-Nightjar. We were told a tree outside the cottage also housed a large Goanna although we didnt see it. We did have a White-throated Treecreeper which every evening would settle down for the night by our front door clinging to the wooden cottage wall just under the verandah roof. A new species for the property was Australasian Shoveler (6).

A quick visit to the Wonga Wetlands outside Albury on the Murray produced several White-breasted Woodswallows on 1/10. I highly recommend these wetlands. I last visited some 4 years ago.

Cheers
Marnix

IMPORTANT:

This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.