canberrabirds

Black Swans with cygnets

Subject: Black Swans with cygnets
From: John Brannan <>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:05:22 +1000
While we're on the topic, there are (or were last Saturday) Black Swans sitting on a nest in clear view at the tip of the Lake Ginninderra peninsula (just walk out to the end of the boardwalk and look right. They've been on the nest for at least 2 weeks, so the eggs may well have hatched by now (I haven't had a chance to go since Saturday). I also saw another pair with 5 cygnets in tow off the beach on the Eastern side of the peninsula. They were pretty small, so it may well have been their first outing.

John Brannan

Wendy Whitham wrote:
Hi all

Last Friday, I saw a pair of black swans with four cygnets in tow, on Lake Tuggeranong.  Because of the strong winds and (relatively) high waves, it was a challenge to count the number of cygnets!

Wendy Whitham

Rod's Gardening m("grapevine.com.au","rodsgardening");"><> wrote:

While paddling around Springbank Island on Saturday I noticed a Swan
sitting
on a large mound about 30cms high and about 2m around.  I saw it only
from
the water and did not approach too close but I believe it was an active
nest.  Also observed the movement of 100 plus Little Black Cormorants
with a
couple of Little Pied Cormorants mixed in moving down the lake towards
East
Basin.

Yesterday in some casuarinas at St John Vianneys Primary School
Waramanga
there was a number of Weebills & Thornbills, together with a Grey
Fantail,
male Rufous Whistler, (seen but not heard) and a White-throated Gerygone
(heard but not seen).

Cheers

Rod
Rod Mackay

Tel:   0407 456 330

List manager: David McDonald, phone (02) 6231 8904; email
m("canberrabirds.org.au","canberrabirds-owner");"><>

Wendy Whitham