canberrabirds

Enough eyass, let's look at tercel

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Enough eyass, let's look at tercel
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:09:09 +1000
Just as the eyass discussion may be subsiding, I'll mention tercel, and probably get beaten up for doing so, but here goes nothing.

Back in the 1980s/early 90s, Toyota marketed a nifty little 4-wheel-drive station wagon called the Tercel. Mr Toyota's advertising blurb defined a tercel as a young falcon.

In my humble opinion, a tercel was, in days gone by, a male Peregrine Falcon, the larger female was referred to as the peregrine.

And another thing, hobby, as in Australian Hobby, is another falconry term that captures my interest. Apparently, in days of yore in merry England, there was a strict hierarchy - pecking order, if you like - as to what type of hunting hawk the various classes could own. See, the duke, earl, or whoever, could sport a Gyre, Peregrine or even a Saker Falcon, if he could get his mitts on one. The lord of the manor could run a goshawk. The leading-hands, game keepers etc, were allowed to sport lesser raptors.

As for the ladies of the manor, well, they weren't looked upon as serious falconers. Nonetheless, milady was allowed to fly a little falcon, ie a hobby, as in pastime. See, a girls' hobby, a bit of hit-and-giggle, if you like.

I'd best go now, before I get hit-and-giggled.

John Layton.