canberrabirds

Unusual interaction between Pied Currawong and Magpie

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Unusual interaction between Pied Currawong and Magpie
From: "Pedroanddi" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 20:16:07 +1000
Early this afternoon I was walking through the carpark between Aranda Primary School and the playing fields. On the edge of the school grounds there is an area surrounded by a chain link fence about two meters high but not enclosed over the top. I was about 15 meters away when an Australian Magpie landed outside the fence and a Pied Currawong which was inside the compound hopped over to the fence. The currawong opened its beak and the magpie put its beak through the fence into the currawongs open beak in an apparent feeding action, The two birds stood adjacent  to each other for about 30 seconds and then the feeding action was repeated.  The currawong appeared to become nervous about my presence and hopped away. Both birds were adults.

Peter Mellor