canberrabirds

FW: Sad news re chats

To: <>
Subject: FW: Sad news re chats
From: "Overs, Anthony \(REPS\)" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 11:07:14 +1000

Forwarded from Harvey.

-----Original Message-----
From: [
Sent:
Monday, 4 September 2006 10:39 AM
To:
Overs, Anthony (REPS)
Subject: Sad news re chats

Some very sad news re the Uriarra/Coppins Crossing Roads White fronted Chats. They were breeding! (which is not the sad news, and explains why they were hanging around longer than I think anyone expected), but the attempt failed in the most desperate way.

I had dropped by there on Sunday 27 August (on my way out to check that the Uriarra Crossing Common Sandpiper hadn’t yet returned) and noticed that the male was carrying something in his bill. So I stopped off again on the way back and watched, waited and sleuthed until after a couple of hours I finally located a nest with two half-grown nestlings. I got some great photos of them which I’ll put on the COG Photo Gallery at some stage.

But I was devastated when I returned to check on their progress on Saturday 2 September to find that the rank weedy patch on the SW side of Uriarra Road where they had been nesting had been completely slashed / mowed! Grass, weeds, briars, bushes, nest and nestlings  – all gone. I waited around to do a 2-ha 20-minute survey but saw no sign of the adults. This is the first time in five visits that I have not seen the chats within about 5 minutes.

I’d kept quiet about the chats breeding to protect them from possible interference at a very vulnerable period, but now I feel, illogically, that had I made it known, maybe somehow the slashing of the area might have been postponed by a few weeks to allow the nestlings to fledge. I almost feel like I’d rather not have discovered the breeding attempt so I could assume that the chats had simply moved on…

Harvey