canberrabirds

Spotted Turtle-doves (STD)

To: "'COG-L'" <>
Subject: Spotted Turtle-doves (STD)
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:02:47 +1000

Lindsay

This is a case where you need to take a look at HANZAB, but not to leave it hanging in the air, the information there is, in summary:

1)       chinensis and tigrina were introduced

2)       pops in most parts of Aust are intergrades between the 2 ssp

3)       there is a pop in Innisfail probably descended from t

4)       plumage differences between ssp are not marked but t has eg cream/offwhite rather than light grey or grey undertail coverts (!) and ‘less pink on underparts, grading to cream on lower breast (rather than lower belly), and breast appears slightly browner’ (!).  I doubt that this would be evident in the field.

5)       Size differences are not marked but c tends to be ‘slightly larger than t in Wing and Tarsus (could not be tested statistically)’.

It seems unlikely that you would strike a pure tigrina as far south as Bundaberg.  I would think any smaller-looking bird would just be a young one.  Note the marked size differences in Crested Pigeons, depending on age.  g