canberrabirds

Various at Mt Taylor

To: <>
Subject: Various at Mt Taylor
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:30:26 +1000
A few possibly worthy observations whilst indulging in a stroll on Kambah side of Mt Taylor again on last Friday late afternoon & Saturday midday.

A largish group of Double-barred Finches - I counted 17 of them perched in one small tree together and suspect there were still others hidden nearby at the same time. That might be my biggest count of them at this site. I think they are our cutest birds. They were as they often are, part of a mixed flock with Buff- and Yellow-rumped Thornbills & Speckled Warblers.

Buff-rumped Thornbills nest building, courting and mating, the courtship behaviour looked quite similar to the way Zebra Finches do it. I can't say I have noticed that before. Several others involved in nesting activities as noted before.

The two Australasian Grebes (and the Little Pied Cormorant) that were present at the little dam for a week are not there any more. Hopefully they left and were not a victim of the feral cat that I saw near there. It must be a long fly for them to the nearest other bit of water.

At least ten Martins, most likely Tree Martins, sighted flying high over the site, just before sunset. I don't think there were any Fairy Martins there, mainly because they looked like them though the light was poor and they were high, the calls were all of Tree Martins and they are there each year and I've never seen Fairy Martins there. It is my first observation of the species since Canberra was last hot.