canberrabirds

Sorry... and Thornbill identification

Subject: Sorry... and Thornbill identification
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:18:39 +1000
Apologies for the much too large email I sent previously.  I'll keep images very small from now on.  I actually thought that one was an ok size, but it wasn't.  Also if there is a preference for sending images as attachments (rather than in-line images that most people seem to use), can someone let me know.  (Actually I thought there was an automatic blocker of too-large emails on this list??)

I am having trouble identifying my little birds.  I am not sure that this kind of repetitive beginner question is appreciated on this list, so if there is a more appropriate forum for ID questions and beginner learning, I'll re-locate my questions.

Below two photos show the same bird I think a Thornbill, but I can't determine which.   It has a whitish eye so I guess buff-rumped or yellow-rumped.  A definite yellow rump (more than the photo indicates, and definitely not buff) so I guess yellow-rumped. But the head doesn't look like a yellow-rumped head in colour or dots/blackness/pattern compared with my books or the COG gallery.  They seemed more interested in trees than the ground, but that might have been just at that time.  Couldn't get a photo of the front but didn't see what I would consider black crown. Any help appreciated to get me further on track with my thornbills.  Also if there is a good book or two -- not a field guide of which I have a couple -- that addresses identification tips and has lots of "how tos" and general bird lore (like nesting habits and other bird behavioral info) I'd be grateful for the reference.

Julian

[]

[]