canberrabirds

Wagga Wagga budgerigars

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Wagga Wagga budgerigars
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 11:24:58 +1000
This is a me-too type of post, but my interest was pricked by Brendan Lepschi's comment that the nearest to Canberra he's seen budgerigars is Leeton.

I virtually grew up on a 2200 acre grazing property 13 miles east of Wagga. Every so often, during the 1950s and early 60s, I happened upon small budgie flocks, about twenty strong, inevitably in an area of poor (by grazing standards) sandy country, liberally studded with White Cypress Pine. Fast forward to the 1990s and the present and, when I flip through my birding diaries of the current era, I note seven subsequent sightings of small budgie flocks there, always during late autumn/early winter.

On the south-western outskirts of the city there was Pommagalarna Common. I've probably spelt the name wrongly, but that's the way it sounded. Some of the coarser, Wagga Wagga louts called it Pommy Galahs. But not me, 'cause I was one of the more sensitive, refined young hoods of Wagga Wagga. Anyhow, I occasionally saw wild budgies there too.

John K. Layton