canberrabirds

tidbinbilla

To: "William Compston" <>, <>
Subject: tidbinbilla
From: "Sandra Henderson" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 09:14:53 +1000
The cygnets swimming with one leg on their back is also mentioned on
http://www.zonianlady.com/featuredbird/hello.html (which is talking
about mute swans, not black swans). Pic of some at
http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/NBI1582.php and at
http://britishwildlifehelpline.com/common%20probs%20birds.html (a
wildlife help site) it says "Swans and geese often float or swim with a
foot lying along their backs. It looks extremely odd but is quite
normal"

Haven't done any reading on platypus for years, but don't they normally
close their eyes anyway and rely on other senses - I think its some sort
of electro-receptor system. According to Australian Museum online info :
"Platypuses only forage under water. It's usually at night, conditions
are often murky, and their eyes and ears are closed ...The bill of the
Platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus) contains two types of sensory
receptors. There are some 60,000 electroreceptors and about 40,000
mechanoreceptors (or push rods)."

Sandra Henderson