canberrabirds

White-fronted Chats: possible demise?

Subject: White-fronted Chats: possible demise?
From: Milburns <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 21:44:30 +1000
Fellow Chat Enthusiasts

I think that all of the contributions to this thread so far have extremely valuable and I hope that the following observations continue the trend.

The major water bodies of the Southern Highlands appear to hold more-or-less stable WFC (not KFC) populations. Locally this equates to Lakes George and Bathurst and the Googong Foreshores. These populations appear to extend through Hoskinstown toward Captain's Flat. In the late 1980's, I was quite accustomed to WFCs being present at the Point Hut Silt Trap in its halcyon days and also along the Molonglo Valley west of Kowen SF. WFCs were also transient at Kelly's Swamp but in recent years they have all but disappeared from the places that I frequent. I do not have solid data to back this up but perhaps others more diligent than I could support my impression that WFC occurrences in our area have exhibited a serious downturn. Stretching the notion further, I have the impression that this more or less parallels the decline in Southern Whiteface records.

Milburn
--
The Milburns
42 Bundey Street