canberrabirds

RE:Mynah traps....

Subject: RE:Mynah traps....
From: "terry gourlay" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 03:31:50 +0000
Milton et al,If you can't get Mynah traps enquire of the banders involved in the Victoirian Flame Robin Study...I saw their traps and was quite impressed....they were crafted by a chap in Melbourne....If all else fails,a rat trap might be simply altered....I made my daughter a motor car powered by one for a school project not long ago.....get a piece of board that masters the rest of the trap,screw the base of trap down.......Straighten a wire coat hanger and make Semi circular hoop of it around a bucket, the rectangular metal frame on the trap must stay,the two protruding arms may be attached to the suitably bent ends of your hoop so you can join it,get some copper wire from a bit of flex and bind the parrallel arms of the hoop and the trap....now if you have a soldering iron,solder it,probably you havent so get some Titan Bond at the hardware store and mix a little of the epoxy resin together and smooth it over and into the wire binding...use common sense and keep the bonded area clear of anything it might stick to....now we dont want to hurt any living thing needlessly,so fix a couple of timber offcuts at the business ends so they don't allow the trap to come down and hurt feet,but low enough to prevent the mynah getting out....of course the net must be surrounded with mesh,ask one of the banders for a small piece of net they are throwing out,,of course you will need to fasten a tit bit to the trigger ....because of potential litigation problems I cant help anyone I am only passing on information and have never made a trap myself,I dont trap birds nor would I seek to encourage others to do so, Terry Gourlay.