canberrabirds

Not so much a clothes-line as ..

To: <>
Subject: Not so much a clothes-line as ..
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:03:23 +1000

I can't believe anyone is interested in this.  Could I possibly suggest a slight change of topic to the birds that one can see while sitting outside enjoying a glass or two of pinot?  If not, oh well ...    First I must tell you about our clothes line.  This is of the minimalist, blend-with-the-scenery variety, and whether you can even see the clothes line while standing at the clothes line depends on the state of the nearby pittosporum hedge.  To put things in a somewhat broader perspective, here are two views from the back deck.  You will understand that blackbirds nest within a half-metre of the CL.  The hawthorn on the right is the venue for the annual Crested Pigeon eisteddfod (now on) and the deciduous trees generally are a winter Tourist Drive for passing rose robins, grey fantails, thornbills etc.  However, anyone who thinks that you need to hang up washing to see them belongs to the now-discredited school that believed you needed to burn down your house to obtain a bit of roast pork.