canberrabirds

Laundry Lists

To: <>
Subject: Laundry Lists
From: "Sandra Henderson" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:49:17 +1000
While I don't hang out the washing with binoculars around my neck, it
has proved, in the short time I've been watching out for birds, to be
very useful to look for birds while I'm pegging out - this year my
backyard has yielded rainbow lorikeets (which came for about 2 hours
each day for 2 weeks), a little lorikeet and a cockatiel (probably
escapees), and this past weekend a collared sparrowhawk in one of my big
eucalypts and lots of weebills which seem to be gathering nest materials
- they were particularly excited about a thread of cotton they finally
untangled from the mulberry tree a few metres from where I was standing!
The more frequent visitors such as red wattlebirds, noisy friarbirds and
galahs seem quite happy to use the bird bath a few metres from the
clothesline while I'm there.

Sandra Henderson