canberrabirds

RE:The Grey faced Lapwing

Subject: RE:The Grey faced Lapwing
From: "terry gourlay" <>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 09:08:11 +0000
Hi All,
must say I think that the Lapwing is a spuriousrecord not just because it turned up where it did but the reported callousities on one foot....these are synonymous with being tethered,sure fishing line does the same,but Lapwings are unlikely to meet with that problem ....Asian Fishing boats often have wild birds on them,I remember a Phillipino Boat in Darwin Harbour with an enormous Grey Eagle wired down to a perch,I have also seen Cormorants and Parrots...I believe the rarities committee should not give this the benefit of any doubt,
                                               Terry Gourlay.