canberrabirds

Re: FW: [canberrabirds] Christmas card - answers

To: "COG list" <>
Subject: Re: FW: [canberrabirds] Christmas card - answers
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:00:55 +1000
I really enjoyed playing with this quiz.  As a beginner I am staggered that anyone can get 20 of these, let alone more.  How for example, can you separate those two parrots 9&10 from each other or other parrots?  Or pick the friarbird fledglings?  Or the peaceful dove from another dove? Or even the silver gull that still doesn't look like a gull to me even when I know the answer.  What's the strange protrusion from his head?  No 23 (superb parrot) looks like any bird with a long tail to me.  I have hundreds of photographs of superbs taken during the last invasion and I still don't see the uniqueness of its rear-end!   As for the less common birds, I had absolutely no idea and am even more impressed.

Now that I look at my book I see that the head shape of the great cormorant is truly a bit different from the little black (not counting the crest that doesn't really appear in this shot), so just a few year's practice might give me 50% in these quizzes.

For the record (my record that is, so hopefully I can look back and wonder at why I found it so difficult) I got the easy ... er ...ahem ...*very low voice* ...7.

Thanks Geoffrey, great practice.

Julian