canberrabirds

Satin Bowerbird roost flight

To: <>
Subject: Satin Bowerbird roost flight
From: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:40:37 +1000
After hardly seeing or hearing a Satin Bowerbird for the past 6-8 months, at about 17:35 this afternoon a loose flock of over 20 green birds rested briefly in a tall blue gum in a neighbour's place before heading off in a ENE direction over Rivett towards Woden, flying clearly above the tree tops.

This was very similar behaviour, and in a very similar direction, to the morning dispersal flights from the roost in Chauvel Circle I saw many times pre-fires, except at the opposite end of the day.  Back then, even though the roost was close by and contained up to 80 birds, I always had great difficulty in finding any number of birds coming in to roost, in spite of a number of attempts of watching very closely.

The birds were clearly on their way to a roost site well inside the suburbs, opposite to my previous theory that they preferred the edges of Canberra such as Duffy and Kambah.  The only suspected roost site close to the City Centre that  suspect is in the Royal Canberra Golf Course around Warrina Inlet, but again this has been hard to confirm, and obviously too far away for these birds to be heading to.

Has anyone else seen such a roost flight, or know of an inner suburban roost?

Jack Holland