canberrabirds

swift parrot?

To: <>
Subject: swift parrot?
From: "tom green" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:40:36 +1000
Hi All,
The COG office has recieved the email below

I recall last year that there was a news item, I believe about Swift Parrot sightings in Cook.  Well, I know it was a parrot of some kind, and I really should know which one...

The whole point of this email is that I believe that they have returned - for the past two days, as I walk home from the bus-stop, there is a large gum tree which is almost alive with what must be parrots - the only trouble is that I am seeing them just on dusk (6pm), and I really can't get a good clear look at them.

They do have the most distinctive call - similar to a lorikeet, but more like a happy warble.  It's quite loud, but that is probably the numbers.  I really don't know how many birds are there, but there are at least 30, and they are quite active.

Actually, they seem like they are having the time of their lives!  Happy birds, indeed.

Now - the particular tree that they have been in for the last two afternoons is a large gum, on the nature strip shared by 53 and 55 Lyttleton Cres, in Cook (just a couple of doors down from me).  They are definitely not "locals", and I am sorry that I don't have more information for you, but perhaps, if any of your members are over this side of town, they might like to pop in and have a listen.