canberrabirds

Road kills

To: "Chris Davey" <>, <>
Subject: Road kills
From: "Ruskies" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:29:38 +1100
Hi! Chris

I'm afraid your meager road-kill count would not even raise an eye-brow here in downtown New Norfolk, the road-kill capital of Australia. I counted yesterday on a 1-6 klm ( the miracle mile) stretch of road, a count of 2- roos, 4-padamelons, 6-possoms, 3-native-hens, 1-raven( a raretiey ) and a splattering of bits and pieces everywhere.
So you can see that your low tally wouldn't raise an eye-brow here, although I will admit that we did hit a bit of a purple patch on that section of road. This particular 100 klm per hour section of road consists of 2 passing lanes which makes it 4 lanes wide, constucted on a long blind curve on which to surprise any of the local fauna stupid or unlucky enough to try to cross over this particular section. And of course this being on a passing lane section, entitles everyone to increase their speed by 40%, whether the need to speed is required or not, thus ensuring that nothing but the fleetest, survive. Most of these deaths occur at night when there is very little traffic on this section of road, so I can only surmise that the majority of these kills are intentional as there must be more than enough room to miss these poor creatures.

cheers
bob rusk