canberrabirds

Swifts

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: Swifts
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:16:36 +1100
And they put in an appearance in Ainslie from about 1915-1930hrs. I counted
at least 40 with both species present, Forktails outnumbering Needletails at
least 3 to 1. They were very, very high up - too high to pick any pale
markings. Apart from shape they could be easily separated by flight action,
Needletails very powerful and direct, in comparison the Forktails were
rather fluttery and erratic. They passed over in small groups of 5 or so and
mostly seemed to be heading south westish. My first ACT Forktails too

Steve