canberrabirds

on the subject of Pipits, mineral acquisition?

Subject: on the subject of Pipits, mineral acquisition?
From: "Geoff Kay" <>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 05:47:17 +0000
Steve,

Unfortunately I am unable to anwer your question, but I do have another interesting observation made whilst on the sub-antarctics' Campbell Island (sorry if anyone has been awaiting my report on that trip, it is coming slowly but will be worth the shortening wait I hope)...

Anyway, has anyone ever heard of Pipits suplementing their diet by eating minerals? I viewed a single pipit foraging on a rock shelf (of limestone and another flint-type rock [which name escapes me]) and eating what appeared to be small (~5mm) fragments of the limestone. Upon closer inspection I found no evidence of vegetation, living matter that it may have gone after, but did find small fragments of the stone. I'm curious to know whether the Pipit was eating the limestone to supplement some mineral requirement (ie, for egg shell production)?

I was really excited when I realised what I was watching!

Cheers, Geoff Kay.

  .--_/\        Geoff Kay
/       \        'Waminda' c/o Hall
\_.--.._/        PO ACT 2618