canberrabirds

"Philip's Swallows"

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: "Philip's Swallows"
From: "Michael & Janette Lenz" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:06:21 +1100

In recent weeks Philip Veerman has posted 3 messages on an intriguing event: large congregations of Swallows/Martins over the eastern Part of Lake Burley Griffin. It sounded very much like a pre-roosting gathering. Philip provided me off-line with further information as to when and where this event took place (thank you Philip for this).

However, by the time I got my act together and went to see for myself, things had changed considerably and there were fewer birds. On the evening of the 25th  Jan. I estimated about 1000 birds: no longer ?mainly Welcome Swallows?, but exclusively Tree Martins. Also a  Hobby tried his luck in catching one. Around sunset all birds suddenly went down and disappeared out of sight, I assumed that they had gone into the reeds along the lake for roosting. I returned to the site well before sunrise next morning, to see only about 4 Tree Martins high up in the sky later in the morning.  Clearly that part of the lake was not a roosting site.

I went again on the 28th to watch for the evening ?Martin spectacular?, but all I saw were 4 Tree Martins  first moving north, returning about 10 min later, then going again north 5 min later. This probably indicates that either the conditions that favoured the larger congregations no longer exists, or that the masses of Tree Martins/Swallows have passed through.

Michael Lenz