canberrabirds

An answer to John Layton re Superb parrots

To: <>
Subject: An answer to John Layton re Superb parrots
From: "Chris Davey" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 00:13:09 +1100

The Superb parrot is one of three parrot species that has a pattern of migration in Australia, the others are the Swift parrot and the Orange-bellied parrot.  It appears from Atlas information that the Superb parrot’s range consists of a central core in which birds are resident the whole year, areas to the north in which birds are only seen in the winter months and areas to the south and south east (our area of concern) in which birds are only seen during the breeding season.  There has been no work done on their movement patterns but it would appear that one of two things happen; either the entire population moves north and then south i.e. it is not the same birds resident within the core area or, and more likely from other migrant species, the northern wintering birds move to the south and the south-east to breed.  Unfortunately it is not quite that simple for to my knowledge the south-eastern birds all leave the area but the southern birds (around the Riverina) do not.

Historically there has been much fuss about the southern birds but in my view it is our south-eastern birds and the central birds which are the core breeding group (I hope no-one from the Deniliquin area is reading this!).  For some time it was unknown the extent to which birds bred within our area and that is what I set out to find (see Canberra Bird Notes Vol 22 p1-14).  Since then the PhD thesis by Dr. Adrian Manning has done much to improve our knowledge on the landscape requirements of the Superb parrot within the local area.  It is now obvious that the birds breed locally (Wallaroo Road, Gundaroo, possibly Goorooyaroo).  It appears that breeding birds return to our area around the last week in August and remain very local to their traditional breeding sites.  It is only once the young have fledged that the birds leave their breeding sites and roam further a field.  That is exactly what happens each year at Mt Rogers and has happened again this year but this time they have for various reasons (and hence the discussion) moved further a field and therefore have been reported by many more people.