canberrabirds

Non-birding question (RE wasps & spiders)

To: <>
Subject: Non-birding question (RE wasps & spiders)
From: "Yarden Oren" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:19:15 +1100
While on a non birding trend, could someone confirm the following suspicion. A wasp has built tight mud cocoons stuck to the brick wall outside our door. I knocked down the first ones as we didn't want the wasps hanging around there and the cocoons were empty. A fed days later another set was built. When I demolished them, each contained about half a dozen spiders. The spiders were fresh and plump (paralysed I presume and intended to be fresh food to larvae already laid or about to be laid in them). Am I correct? Any more interesting local natural history regarding the phenomenon?

Thanks

Yarden