canberrabirds

a juvenile koel?

To: <>
Subject: a juvenile koel?
From: "Barbara Allan" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:49:57 +1100

I’ve just returned from Lake Ginninderra peninsula – my first visit for a while – and encountered a slightly wrong koel call in trees to the west of the Diddams Close picnic area at about 9:20. A kind of ku-ko-el – the first note brief and higher. On inspection, I saw a bird preening itself, and fluffing out its feathers as if it had just had a dip. Koel size – a BFCS nearby for comparison – pale buffy beige with white spots on the brown wings, but so far as I could see, not the dark head of the female. Of course it fled as soon as it saw binoculars but remained calling, in a second row of gums behind the first. I tramped through the long dead grass past a very dead dog and endured the smell and the prospect of snakes for about half an hour but didn’t find the bird again, though it kept calling. If anyone checks this out, pls let me know what you think. Loads of Magpie-larks around, as possible foster parents. b