canberrabirds

Molonglo Reach and Jerrabomberra Creek

Subject: Molonglo Reach and Jerrabomberra Creek
From: "terry gourlay" <>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 23:16:22 +0000

Hi Rod,
Far from being an Urban sprawl the Duntroon Darters were,I believe,the first to nest in this area at least 10 years ago? Your comments on the snake were interesting,I always give them a wide birth as they will (where a waterway is wide,like a Lake)come up onto a log so why not a canoe?On that topic,I have seen many snakes in the water,and they just thresh around on top of the water,or move in a serpentine manner on top,but last year at Durras I surprised a very large Black Snake by a narrow Creek,and didn't he go,he amazed with his speed,faster than on land and thats saying something,and went straight as an arrow just under the water,for about 40 metres.very impressive.The Gippsland Water Dragons you describe are often near the Hospice,they seem chameleonic(Is that a word?)I saw and reported one menacing a pair of Darters at a nest last year Ross Bennett the Herpatologist considered that they would not be able to pull that trick off, Regards,Terry.