canberrabirds

Another Black Kite record

To: <>
Subject: Another Black Kite record
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 23:13:54 +1100
Today at mid day, I was driving Long Gully Road towards the Monaro highway and at the corner of Mugga Lane (near the tip) (actually along Mugga Lane about 100M SE of the corner) I flushed a Black Kite that was eating something dead by the road. Actually it nearly collided with the car. I wasn't really focussed on it at first. I just thought it much too dark for a Whistling Kite. I had to keep driving then stopped and turned back to be sure. I watched it for about two minutes flying over the site. No doubt about the ID and the time of year is typical for their occurrence in Canberra (and the site is unsurprising too).