canberrabirds

Fw: [canberrabirds] Peregrines and pigeons

To: <>
Subject: Fw: [canberrabirds] Peregrines and pigeons
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:41:45 +1100
I had a "Peregrine" experience on the weekend while sitting in a zodiac close to Wasp Island off South Durras. There were at least 4 birds which appeared to be tending what I assume were two nest sites high up on the cliff face.  Their constant calling was unmistakably as recorded at no. 08 on the Birds of the ACT calls & songs CD.

It made good viewing to see these birds rise up above the island, hold station in the stiff north easterly, drift back with it, then zoom down at high speed below the cliff top before gently rising to one or other of the only two places I saw them land.  At one stage one bird made a low fast direct flight to the mainland where I lost sight of it, but it returned to the cliff top in similar fashion a few minutes later.  The resident Sooty Oystercatchers were nervous and while there was some harrassment from the Falcons, I didn't see any of the Sooties get zapped.  Would like to have had a closer look but landing (which would be difficult) is prohibited and no doubt that's just as well.

Cheers

Rod

Rod Mackay
Tel:   0407 456 330