canberrabirds

Grey Goshawk?

To: <>
Subject: Grey Goshawk?
From: "shaun bagley" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:28:36 +1000
Was walking, at lunchtime today, in upper part of ANBG near trail to top of Black Mtn when I heard a persistent "ki-ki-ki" cry not unlike the Hobbies I saw last week. On closer approach on trail off tarmac boundary road, the bird was flushed by Pied Currawongs which continued to harass it as it circled just over the canopy. It was clearly one of the goshawk tribe and from the brief view of it overhead appeared almost uniformly pale grey. If it was a Grey Goshawk it would be the first one I have seen so am not keen to claim as unusual bird record but would ask anyone else in the ANBG over the next few days to keep an eye and ear out.

Cheers

Shaun

PS. Still masses of noisy YFH's in the Grevillea Arenaria bushes along main path in lower ANBG along with usual suspect Honeyeaters (NH, ES & RW). There's also a Fantail Cuckoo that has been fairly conspicuous visually and vocally over the last week in the same area.