canberrabirds

Buffy and the Silvereyes

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Buffy and the Silvereyes
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:58:09 +1000
Theory basically sound, I'd say, John.  It would be great to have some simple reliable criteria for this, but it seems to be quite a complex issue.  For example, unless nesting the 'resident' silvereyes tend to flood through in large numbers in the manner of migrating birds (and some do migrate).

The Schodde/Mason 'Directory' notes the need to take account of age and plumage wear and the 'hitherto little appreciated fact that females, though similar to males in size ..., are significantly duller in plumage'.

Relevant excerpts from the descriptions in the Directory are as follows (italics as in original):

westernensis (local breeder)

"Crown, lower back and folded wings rich mid citrine, the tone usually encroaching little on upper back;  mantle and upper back rich mid grey; citrine face with light dusky wash; throat light citrine-tinged yellow, the tone often restricted to upper throat; breast clear mid grey, grading to pale to mid dull russet brown over flanks; ... under-tail coverts off-white, rarely tinged lemon ...."

lateralis (migrant)

"Crown, lower back and folded wings rich deep citrine, the tone encroaching little on upper back; mantle and upper back rich deep grey;  citrine face with distinct light dusky wash; throat pale grey tinged variably pale citrine yellow; breast clear mid grey, grading extensively deep russet-cinnamon over flanks; under-tail coverts off-white ..."

Either, then might have an apparently yellowish throat.

I have scrolled through my silvereye folio and found some illustrative snaps, but not a really strong example of the striking 'russet-cinnamon' flanks I have seen in the field occasionally (although I could create one!).  I would tentatively say all the below are westernensis, although the colour has been muted somewhat in the compression and I don't want to fiddle with it .