canberrabirds

White-necked Heron

To: <>
Subject: White-necked Heron
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:15:46 +1000
Hi Marnix,

Are you implying that there is a seasonal pattern to their occurrence in Canberra? It may be so but is that new information? I have seen this species in Canberra. But sorry I am not sure what you mean by "yet" (as in since when). Wilson's book and the COG Atlas are consistent with that possibility but make no such suggestion. Although the GBS Report does not include text for this species (there were only 20 records so it is only listed in Appendix 1), I have just looked at the raw data. I sort of agree with your implication in that the abundance certainly does appear to go up in summer. However several autumn and mid winter observations are there too. Thanks for the suggestion, I may include the species in the text in the next edition GBS Report (as the current one is almost sold out).