canberrabirds

Birds in Malaysia - where to look in the Peninsula

To: "'Roy Harvey'" <>
Subject: Birds in Malaysia - where to look in the Peninsula
From: "EcoBirds" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:01:19 +0200
Hi Roy

Bird park was interesting, but too unnatural for me although good for pictures. I was in KL area in June 2005 (central north only) and I can recommend the following places:

1) FRIM - Forestry Research Institute of Malaysia - on the outskirts of North East KL. Easy to get to and a fair range of birds. I was lucky enough to see a masked finfoot on one of the small ponds on the left of the main road through FRIM. This will take most of 1 day.

2) Fraser's Hill - about 1.5 hours from KL and in the mountains. I hired a car and drove. Lots of birds and if you are interested I can give reasonable hotel details and the name of the local bird man (I would see more with him in an hour than I did by myself for the rest of the day!! :-)  ). You need at least 2 days and is a definite highlight of my trip.

If you have more time, I could give you local people to contact for advice. There are some marshes and mangroves relatively near but not as easy to find or get to.

Regards

David

Rome, Italy