canberrabirds

RE: pre-European bowers

Subject: RE: pre-European bowers
From: James Nicholls <>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:35:34 +1000
Hello Canberra birdos,
We are doing some research here at the Uni of Queensland on satin bowerbird painting. We've noticed that they use their bills to do the actual painting rather than using a "paintbrush". Immediately before they paint their bower walls, they often chew up plant material which we are guessing increases the supply of saliva which forms the major part of the paint. Some of this plant material sometimes gets painted onto the bower walls as well, so this might be mistaken as using a brush. At our study site in the Bunya Mountains they usually chew hoop pine needles, although I have seen them using other species of plant and dirt. There are records in the literature of them using charcoal. We also have observed them painting just saliva onto the walls. Work that's been done here suggests that painting is one of a multitude of signals that males use in their efforts to attract females (along with the bower, all the decorations and the song and dance the males do). Females appear to nibble the paint when they visit bowers, and one study has shown that the rate at which males paint their bower walls predicts their mating success. We also think that freshly painted paint is the important signal in this regards, rather than the amount of accumulated dried paint. We're planning on doing another experiment this spring to investigate this painting behaviour a bit more. If anyone wants to read up some more on the role paint plays in satin bowerbird mate choice behaviour and they have access to a library with journals, our group has published a couple of papers on the subject recently:

Robson, T.E., Goldizen, A.W. & Green, D.J. (2005) The multiple signals assessed by female satin bowerbirds: could they be used to narrow down females' choice of mates? Biology Letters 1:264-267

Bravery, B.D., Nicholls, J.A. and Goldizen, A.W. (in press) Patterns of painting in satin bowerbirds and males' responses to changes in their paint. Journal of Avian Biology

With regards David Rosalky's original query about what bowerbirds did before blue plastic arrived in this country, there are quite a lot of natural blue things they use. As has been mentioned, rosella feathers are very popular (and are a preferred item to be stolen from a rival male's bower), blue flowers from species such as Dianella and Solanum, and blue berries (typically Exocarpus fruit). They also use quite a bit of yellow, such as leaves, cockatoo feathers, yellow flowers (such as Acacia or Dendrobium orchids) and pale yellow straw/grasses. They often use a few white objects as well, such as very faded small grass tufts and bones (bird or small possum skulls and sometimes vertebrae). And as was mentioned by someone else, brownish items such as cicada skins, praying mantis egg coccoons and huntsmen spiders are occasionally used. I have also observed that some populations in the Wet Tropics of north-eastern Queensland use moss.

Hope this is of interest,
James

--
Dr James Nicholls
School of Integrative Biology

Phone: +61 7 3365 7591  Fax: +61 7 3365 1655