canberrabirds

pre-European bowers

To: "Phyl Goddard" <>
Subject: pre-European bowers
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:58:13 +1000
One would think that is tool use. Even more interesting is that it is for a use other than feeding. The Palm Cockatoo may use a stick to make noise. Most egs. concern feeding. Other bird examples are Egyptian Vultures and Black-breasted Buzzards using stones to break Ostrich & Emu eggs. I think that the example of the Galapagos woodpecker finch is famous because they probably to it frequently and so it is easy to document (if you can get to the right part of the world).  I have written to Carol suggesting that she publish those notes.

Philip.