canberrabirds

hardheads

To: "roger curnow" <>
Subject: hardheads
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:58:49 +1000

Yerrabi Pond I suspect is fairly deep as there are usually over 20-30 Hoary-headed Grebes present at the far northern end. I walk or cycle around the lake regularly as I live nearby in Ngunnawal.
Large groups of Hardhead are common in winter as well as the odd Australasian Shoveler and even Pink-eared Duck on rare occasions.
Did you by any chance see the resident Musk Duck(s)?

I think most of Lake Ginninderra may be too deep for Hardhead and Hoary-headed Grebe. Not sure.

The small piece of water you refer to near the roundabout off Wm Sim Drive I believe is part of the McKellar Wetlands. My understanding is that a local landcare group has created these wetlands to conserve the local frog population - there is another pond with a dense reedbed near the William Webb Drive-Owen Dixon Drive intersection with an explanatory sign on frog species.
I also visit this wetland regularly to keep an eye out for crakes...before they finish developing all the new houses nearby.

Cheers
Marnix

"roger curnow" <>

14/08/2005 07:39 PM

"COG" <>
cc
Subject
[canberrabirds] hardheads
  Classification

I walked around Yerabbi Ponds on the Thursday and estimated upwards of 60  Hardheads (or White-eyed Duck ) present.
They were also present in numbers on what my Gregory's labels Gungahlin  Pond.
On a small piece of water south west of the Baldwin Drive, Sir William  Slim roundabout
                                                                there were two adult birds and two immatures.
Today when i walked around Lake Ginninderra I saw no Hardheads; not very  many ducks at all really, but no Hardheads.
Is there an obvious reason for this ?.

There are also large numbers of Grebe (mostly Australasian, but some  Hoary-Headed) on Yerrabi Pond.
I would guess 40 but i wasn't keeping  track of them.
Is Yerrabi Pond deep? clear?

Different topic:
Would this be a mallard/black duck cross?
There is a white ring around  its neck not obvious in the photo.
[IMAGE]

        roger curnow.
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.