canberrabirds

[UNCLASSIFIED] Black Swans

Subject: [UNCLASSIFIED] Black Swans
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:18:22 +1000
I dont have a reference book here, but off the top of my head.
1, 2, 3) carrying cygnets is common when they are very young, until they get to big, I think about 2-3 weeks or so. I monitored them at East LBG a few years ago and I think that is right. When the swans walk on land the cygnets fall out and have to walk. Air, I suspect not. Swans also moult after breeding and cant fly, they rarely fly when they have chicks.

1) they do have quite a few calls, dueting is common and seems to be a way of pulling the birds together. I imagine the male called, but it was really the females final decision when the chicks were ready.
2) swans do normally vacate the position of the nest after the chicks have hatched perhaps within only 3 days to a week, presumably for predator avoidance. You often see them swimming along the edge of lake BG East pond in winter with small to medium sized cygnets.
3) the cygnets walk on land I am pretty sure, rather than carried.
Swans breed in winter, often having cygnets that are quite old by August, so they must start about now.
great photos!
Benj